The Sparrow Racing League Team is going to start doing some BIG THINGS around here! So let's get right into it!
1) As many of you know, I, the founder of SRL, was featured as a guest on the most recent iteration of The Dads of Destiny Podcast, part of the Guardian Radio Network. I talk about what we have planned for the future of the Sparrow Racing League, as well as take some awesome suggestions from the guys over at DoD. They're all great, hilarious guys. If you've never checked them out before, this would be the episode to do that. It will give you a nice taste of what their podcast is like, as well as answer some of your questions about the Sparrow Racing League. Here is the link to The Dads of Destiny Podcast Episode 25: On Your Mark... Get Set... Drop!
2) I've updated our Help Wanted page to include some better descriptions (even though they are still very brief). If you've already emailed us in regards to a position you are applying for, you should have a reply in your inbox right now. I apologize to those of you who have been waiting a while for a response. If you didn't know, I had a family member pass away recently which is the reason for all of the delays. Anyways, we're looking for quite a few positions to be filled. All of our positions are volunteer and unpaid (as of right now, but that may change). We will need all the help that we can get if we plan on iterating our plans anytime in the near future (hopefully before The House of Wolves is released). You can find our Help Wanted page here: http://sparrowracingleague.com/index.php/help-wanted
Several of the positions have to do with what we have planned. I told you in the last email that I'd tell you what we have planned in this email, so let's get started now that those two announcements are out of the way. Keep in mind that not all of these features are live yet, but we're working on it... hence the help wanted!
Yeah, we're gonna start numbering all over again. :)
1) SPARROW RACING LEAGUE BOUNTIES!
Yes, you read that correctly! We're starting our own bounties. We feel that Bungie is doing a good job with Destiny, but it is very repetitive and they could change it up a bit from time to time. So, in the near future you will be seeing SRL Bounties which will work much like the bounties already in game. However, our Bounties will have a little bit of a different style. The bounties will have different time frames depending on their difficulty. By that I mean that there will be Daily, Weekly, and Monthly bounties. Dailies will obviously be the easiest, weekly bounties a bit harder, and monthly bounties will be the most difficult. I'll give you a little hint as to what the bounties will look like:
-Curse of the Sword: Defeat Crota; Each Guardian may only pick up the sword ONCE per attempt
-Land a Sparrow on a Drop Ship
-Compete in an Official Sparrow Racing League tournament
We have plenty more planned out and the creativity is just getting started, but there is a little taste of what you can find in the SRL bounties!
2) SRL Points
SRL Points will be like a currency that are redeemable on the SRL website for various things such as new controllers, clothing, tournament passes, PSPlus/XBLive memberships, and much more! You can earn these points several ways. Some ways, for example, will be completing SRL Bounties and winning SRL Tournaments.
3) SRL Tournaments
Yes, we know that we've already had one for Playstation 4. That was just our guinea pig tournament. We're expanding to other consoles and the frequency of the tournaments is going to grow! That single tournament we had a few weeks ago is just the tip of the iceberg for what we have planned! Tournament styles and rules are going to be modified into different types of tournaments with different rewards... Alright fine, you get a hint for this one too:
-Tournaments won't be restricted to Sparrow Racing. We're expanding into Sparrow Tricks, Fast Sparrow Races, and Iron Man's. Don't know what an Iron Man is? Go check out the DoD podcast and I answer that question! ;)
4) We're redesigning the entire website. We know that the site is slow and clunky, but that's what we get for putting it up super quickly through Joomla... not our best decision. But now that we're growing and expanding, Joomla is holding us back from what we really want to do. So that's why we're rebuilding it.
There are many more things I'd love to reveal to you, but they aren't very well thought out yet. I'd rather tell you at a later date with a more in-depth description instead of just rambling on about something that is still in the concept stage and broken. If you really want a hint at what these things might be, go look at the Help Wanted page! ;)
That's all I have for you right now Guardians. Expect some changes to happen soon with these iterations included. This is a big project, which is why we need the help! Please go check out http://sparrowracingleague.com/index.php/help-wanted to see if you are capable of helping us out in any way. Also, go check out the guys at the DoD Podcast that I linked to previously. Some of your questions about Destiny and/or the Sparrow Racing League could be answered there! They're a great group of guys and I'm glad they had me on as their guest!
Until we meet again, Guardian.
The Sparrow Racing League Team
If you've noticed that the SRL Website has been a little slow recently, you're not wrong. Some unfortunate issues have arisen in both the Admin's lives. SRL_Referee's Grandmother passed away on Tuesday February 17th after being hospitalized for about a week and SRL_Referee-AUS messed up his back pretty good. So, while SRL_Referee mourns the death of his grandmother and SRL_Referee-AUS recovers from his back injury, things have slowed down a bit. However, we're picking up the pace again and have some exciting things to announce to you guys!
I'm not going to tell you right now, you'll have to wait until next week's email update to find out. If you can't wait that long, tune in tonight at 8pm Pacific Time to twitch.tv/thedodpodcast where I (SRL_Referee) will be appearing as a guest on the show. We are streaming it live on that twitch channel. I will be answering questions through your twitch comments and sharing what will be coming soon for the Sparrow Racing League! It's going to be a great show! If you can't make it at that time, a recording of the show will be released on Monday, February 23rd on SoundCloud (soundcloud.com/thedodpodcast). I will also include the link to the specific recording in the next email update.
Having said all that, I want to reiterate that we are looking for help at the Sparrow Racing League. You can find out where we need help right here: http://sparrowracingleague.com/index.php/help-wanted
That's all for now! See you tonight at 8pm Pacific Time on the DoD Podcast! (www.twitch.tv/thedodpodcast)
The Sparrow Racing League Team
Congratulations to our Final Four competitors for the first ever Sparrow Racing League tournament! Several Guardians raced hard today and it was a great time! In the end, Captain_Ahab54 reigned supreme!
The Final Results:
The Sparrow Racing League is proud to announce its first tournament for Playstation 4 Guardians! Here are the details:
What: 1st Sparrow Racing League Tournament
Who: Playstation 4 Guardians
When: February 8, 2015 @ 1200 Pacific Time
Where: Venus Tournament Track
Deadline to Sign-Up: February 7, 2015 @ 11:59pm Pacific Time
Rewards: 1 Month of Playstation Plus Membership
Requirements: Level 25+ Guardian, Tumbler Sparrow
Details: This tournament will take place on the Venus Tournament Track and is single-elimination style. It is a continuous circuit race (meaning there are multiple laps). Each heat will consist of 4 Racers and 2 Official Referees. One Referee will start the race with a grenade throw. The explosion of the grenade will signal the race start. Each race consists of 2 laps. One Referee will stay at the Start/Finish line to judge the finishers. The other Referee will follow the pack to make sure everything runs smoothly. The first two finishers of the heat advance in the tournament bracket. The last two finishers will be disqualified from the tournament. The Championship Race will consist of the Final Four competitors.
Loading screens will not be taken into account, unless there is a significant effect on the outcome of the race (as deemed by the Referees).
How do I sign-up?
You must do two things before the deadline:
1) Send SRL_Referee and SRL_Referee-AUS friend requests on PSN.
2) Visit the Playstation 4 Tournament Sign-up Thread and post the following relevant information:
Playstation Network Username:
Guardian Class (Warlock, Titan, Hunter):
All of this needs to be completed by 11:59pm Pacific Time on February 7, 2015. Failure to do so will result in the inability to compete. All competitors must be online and ready to compete by 11:45am Pacific time on February 8, 2015. We will post the heats as soon as we compile a complete list of competitors.
Reminder: You can always follow DestinySRL and SRL_Referee_AUS on twitter for live updates! You can find links to both of their twitters on the left sidebar.
-The Sparrow Racing League Team
I have a few things I'd like to share with you, so this will be quick.
1) We've created twitter accounts for both PS4 referees. @SRL_Referee and @SRL_Referee_AUS respectively. You can follow them or find their live tweets right here on this site. You should see it somewhere over here:
The referees will be using these twitter accounts to let you know when they are available to referee races, have low wait times for races, or to simply chat with the community. Only actual tweets by the two referees are shown on the sidebar, retweets and others will not be shown to reduce the sidebar "spam".
Because we have these twitter accounts, you can almost disregard the previous posts about designated times for races. We will be open to races whenever we get the chance and let you know via these tweets.
3) We have created a suggestion section in the forums where you can let us know what we're doing great, poorly, or what you'd like to see. Feel free to use that as you'd like. We'd love to hear back from everyone!
That's all I have for you now! Have fun and keep on racing!
-The Sparrow Racing League Team
I've got a few tidbits of news to share with you this week and a few things to recap on. I'll start with the new things: #1 and #2 have to do with PS4, #3 has to do with XboxOne, #4 has to do with everyone:
1) We've added a new official SRL referee to PS4 consoles. This referee is based out of Australia and will be able to referee at times that are "normal" to those of you in that part of the world.
His official SRL PSN is: SRL_Referee-AUS
SRL_Referee-AUS will be available to host races at the following times:
Monday & Wednesday - Starting at 5pm AEST.
Saturday - Starting at 12pm AEST.
Just like SRL_Referee he will send you a message through PSN if he has a low wait time, or you can send him a message through PSN letting him know that you're willing to race. He'll do his best to match you up as quickly as possible. NOTE: YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN AN AUSTRALIAN TIME ZONE FOR SRL_Referee-AUS TO HOST YOUR RACE!
You can also follow him on twitter: https://twitter.com/SRL_Referee_AUS
2) I'd just like to reiterate that we now have two referees on PS4. SRL_Referee and SRL_Referee-AUS. You may add both to your friends list and you may use both to race. If you want to race, send them a message in-game, if they have no wait time then they will send you a message to let you know. We highly recommend that you add both to your friends list, or else we won't be able to contact you for races and vice versa.
4) We are working closely with other gaming companies to bring you season rewards for doing well in the Sparrow Racing League! We are planning on having end of season championships for each console, as well as an ALL CONSOLE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES! Yes, ALL CONSOLE! That means that we'll take the best sparrow racers on each console and have them compete against each other to see who will be crowned the World Champion!
That's all we have for you right now.
Keep on racing guardians and spread the word to your friends!
-The Sparrow Racing League Team
We have exciting news! We're ready for Xbox One consoles to compete in the Sparrow Racing League!
As you may know, Playstation 4 has already been underway, but only for about a week. So, don't feel like you missed out on anything. However, the way you submit your races and become ranked is going to be a little bit different than Playstation 4. We're doing this to see which method is the best to use! After a few months, we'll switch all consoles over to one method.
Currently, on Playstation 4, SRL_Referee will invite you to a fireteam, where you are matched up and race against a random opponent. SRL_Referee then reports the results to the site, where the leaderboards are updated. That's not how PS3, XboxOne, and 360 are going to work... for now.
Here is what's going to happen!
-The Rules and Regulations are the exact same across all consoles, which is found here!
-XboxOne isn't going to have an official judge. Instead you are going to be submitting a YouTube link to your race in the correct forum category for your console.
- The Sparrow Racing League team is going to watch the footage, evaluate whether it is legit or not, and then update the leaderboards accordingly.
This is what needs to happen for a race to be considered legitimate:
- Both racers must be registered on SparrowRacingLeague.com including their correct first and last name (that's how things are organized on the back end).
- Both racers need to agree on starting line, and the finish line. This can be confirmed using in-game hand signals or verbal agreement through voice chat.
- Matches are still best 2 out of 3.
- At the conclusion of the entire match (after you've raced best 2 of 3), we need either a hand-signal or verbal confirmation that you both agree who the winner of the match is.
- When you've completed all of that, upload the video clip of your races (this should include all races of the match, be it 2 or 3) to YouTube and submit the link to the video to the correct forum.
- In your forum post, you need to include both racer's gamertag/psn ID and SRL website usernames.
Here is an Example:
Forum: [Playstation 3 Race Submission]
Title: TheMaddestCow vs. Mudroot
PSN: TheMaddestCow - SRL: Admin
PSN: Mudroot - SRL: Moderator
Score: 2-1 TheMaddestCow Wins
If there are any problems with your forum post, we will reply with what you need to do.
You may use any resources available to connect with other SRL racers including our own forums.
Good Luck and Happy Racing!
-The SRL Team
There is no need to worry if you're not a PS4 guardian. We will have the rest of the consoles ready to go in no time! However, if you are a PS4 racer, we're ready for you! We have everything set up to start competing in the Sparrow Racing League!
There are a few things that we need you to do to get ready:
1) Add SRL_Referee as a friend on PSN. This will make us able to invite you to fireteams when you're ready to race.
2) Make sure you are signed up for the PS4 tournament that you want to compete in. If you don't see your name on the leaderboards, you haven't signed up to it yet.
3) Have a character that has ALL areas unlocked (or atleast all the patrols for each planet).
The way you can sign up to race is to simply message SRL_Referee and he will match you up and referee your race. He will also submit the results of the race to the website to update the leaderboards. Give us about 24hrs to give accurate standings.
SRL_Referee may also message you in game if he has no wait time to race. You can either accept or decline.
Tl;dr - Make sure you're signed up for the correct league and make sure you're friends on PSN with SRL_Referee. That's how we'll be able to make this run smoothly.
Have fun and Good Luck!
The SRL Team
Welcome Sparrow racing fans this is a special announcement for a Gala fundraising race event with the lads from DoD a.k.a. Dads of destiny and friends such as Datto and Tinkks. They are streaming live from 1am USA CST 28th Feb 2015 on the Operation Supply Drop fundraiser and for 30 mins during their 3hr slot within the 24hr live stream the gang will participate in a exhibition short course race tournament organized and officiated by SRL.
The event will consist of 6 very fast and very tight tracks as shown here in this SRL video: Venus Short course Tracks
The races will be run in the same order as on the video and may have up to 4 racers competing in each heat. Points will be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and extra amazing stunts. The highest total point holder after the final race is deemed to be the winner.
3 points for 1st place
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for third place
Race participants note: Add SRL-Referee-AUS on PSN. While in Destiny Gather in fireteam and the Join SRL REFEREE's party. Either referee will take a group into the venus raid to begin the event. Tumblers only or if not available Timebreakers are to be used but all competitors must be on the same type of Sparrow. Good luck.
Race 1 - Sync plate Sprint
Where: Waking Ruins, Venus (Raid area) with max # of Racers: 4
Laps: N/A for Sprint A to B
Start line is on the transmat riser (spawn point), Race up the hill and cross over all 3 Sync plates and then rocket through the time gate to take the win. Death from driving your sparrow off the edge of the cliff into the water denotes the end of racing so dont stop keep flying until you land in the water.
Race 2, 3 and 4 - Cliffhanger, Micro Speed ring, Citadel Sprint
Where: Ishtar cliffs/The Citadel with max # of Racers: 4
Laps: 5 for both circuit tracks 2 and 3 N/A for sprint track 4
A figure 8, A tight left hand turning ring and point to point thriller. Simple quick and fun.
Race 5 - Citadel Speed Ring
Where: The Citadel with max # of Racers: 4
Boost chaining is the key to this Speed ring if victory is what you want!
Grand final Race: Crazy 8's derby
Where: Ember Caves # of racers is limited to top 3 point scorers.
Track 6 is at the ember caves and is the most complex of the Venus short course tracks with 2 figure 8's that share one loop but not the other to complete before its a lap... this takes concentration and a good memory to remember what part of the loop your on and how many laps (both loops) you've done! Also as the figure 8 loops share track space with each other and figure 8's crossover each other theres plenty of bumping, grinding and collisions not forgetting the NPC enemies attacking you and maybe blowing up your Sparrow...
1st place racer : "Your on fire!... "
2nd place racer: "LOL, SO ARE YOU!!!"
1st place racer: "LOL!"... Boom!
1st came last while 2nd lol'd well over the finish line.